Terrence Higgins Trust uses cookies to improve your experience of our websites. For more information or to change the use of cookies, please click here.

GUM clinics

If you want to get tested and/or treated for any sexually transmitted infections (STIs) you can go to a genito urinary medicine (GUM) or sexual health clinic.

If you are worried about being seen by people you know or are away from home when you need help, it’s not a problem. You can use any clinic, and don’t need to be sent there by your doctor.

You can find out about GUM clinics, including who’ll know if you go to one and what they can do for you, on the THT website.

On the THT site you can also find out about:

  • what you need to know before you go to a GUM clinic
  • what will happen when you go to a clinic, including giving personal details
  • what will happen when you see the doctor at the clinic
  • all about tests
  • when you’ll get your test results and what happens next
  • treatments
  • talking to a health adviser or counsellor
  • what you have a right to expect from a clinic and what to do if you want to make a complaint.

Last review: 25/09/2014
Next review: 31/09/2017